Vegetable & Lentil Soup
DescriptionThis is a basic recipe that almost anyone should be able to follow. The preparation takes about ten minutes and then you just leave the soup to simmer - very easy!
For those of us in the UK, these are all very cheap ingredients so it's an easy, nutritious and cheap meal.
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 small potatoes, chopped
- 4 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 250g red lentils
- 4 large leaves of cavolo nero, stalks removed
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 stock cube
- Put lentils into a large saucepan and rinse them, carefully draining the water away. I repeat three times
- To your rinsed lentils, add about a litre of water. You might need more - I never measure water in soup as it's individual how thick you want it!
- Put lid on saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat a little until it's still bubbling gently
- If not already done so, rinse and prepare the veg. Aim to have fairly even sized pieces of vegetable except the onion and garlic, which should be finely chopped
- Add all of the vegetables and herbs. Stir and leave to simmer for about 30 minutes. If you feel it needs more water, then add some
- Check that the lentils have turned mushy and then add the stock cube, being careful to mix in thoroughly
- Leave to simmer for a further 15 mins and then serve or blend and serve if you prefer smooth soup.