Spanish Style Lentil & Tomato Soup with Tasty Toppings
DescriptionThis beautifully nutritious soup is easy to make and you can add a variety of toppings according to taste or dietary needs. It takes inspiration from traditional Spanish flavours and delivers a filling and warming meal. This quantity makes four generous portions.
A portion will likely fulfil your daily needs of:
...and more than half of your daily needs of:
as well as a good amount of protein and very little fat.
We used some finely chopped cavolo nero and sliced Tofoo spicy tomato sizzlers which we dry-fried. Garlicky croutons would be lovely with it, too.
- 250g dried red lentils
- 2 onions
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely chopped or grated
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 heaped tsp smoked sweet paprika
- 1 jar passata (680g roughly)
- 2 litres water
- stock cube(s)
- Place lentils in a saucepan and rinse three times, discarding the water and any dodgy looking lentils/stones
- Put on hob and add the two litres water. Bring to boil and keep at a fair bubble for about 10 minutes whilst you prep the onions etc.,
- Chop the onions and garlic
- Add the onion, carrot, garlic and paprika
- Add the stock cubes & passata. I tend to do this once the lentils have softened as otherwise the acid and salt (if your stock cube contains salt) will cause the lentils to cook more slowly.
- Leave to simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes until the carrots are soft enough to blend using a stick blender
- During the simmer time, prepare your toppings
- Blend with a simple stick blender, add toppings and delight in such a simple but tasty meal.