DescriptionThe Southern-French classic Cassoulet gets a radical makeover in this recipe. Loaded with flavour, it's a rich, hearty dish that is beautiful with some good bread. Quick to prepare, it's a new family-favourite.
The original recipe is packed with meat and fat and is cooked slowly in a special pot. This version uses plant-based sausages. Alternatively, for those wanting a whole-foods plant-based meal, omit the sausages and double up the beans.
- 1 large red onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 350g passata
- 250g sweetheart cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 can/carton cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 plant-based sausages (those avoiding all processed foods could double up the beans instead of this)
- 1tbsp herbes de Provence
- 1tbsp ketchup
- If you have the chance to slice your cabbage earlier in the day and put in the fridge, it will enhance the nutrition.
- Slice the onion and dry fry (no oil needed). Chop up the plant-based sausages and add to the pan. Continue to fry.
- Add the garlic, cabbage and passata. Continue to stir for several minutes.
- Add ketchup, herbes de Provence and beans.
- Cook for 10 minutes and serve with bread.