Crazy about Cruciferous
by Susannah White
Oct 12, 2019
Cabbage, kale and cavolo nero - three of our favourite things!
Our food shopping arrived today - hooray! Each week the fridge gets rammed with loads of cruciferous vegetables and here is a list of this week's goodies and the meals we're going to include them in:
We aim to eat about 150g-170g of greens and cruciferous vegetables each a day as they are so beneficial to health. But how do we cram that much veg into our weekly menu?
1. Pointed cabbage - shredded finely in cassoulet and coleslaw
2. Broccoli - pizza and roast
3. Cauliflower - steamed with some creamed coconut and curry powder as an accompaniment to dahl
4. Cavolo nero - chopped into chilli, as a side veg for our Sunday roast and whizzed up in pesto
5. Kale - finely shredded into mulligatawny in place of spinach
6. Pak choi - tofu korma
Why the obsession with eating lots of cruciferous veg? Well, they...
- reduce cholesterol
- increase antioxidants
- help you think more clearly
- help to detox air pollution
- help to improve respiratory defenses
- reduce inflammation
There are so many ways to include green leafy vegetables and cruciferous vegetables in your meals; this is just a starting point. How will you eat yours?